For many years Jefferson Barracks Missouri was the home base of the 6th Infantry Regiment. The Regiment turned the post over to the Army Air Corps when they left for WWII. After the war, the Army declared the post excess. It is currently divided between the Missouri Air National Guard which occupies the old main post area and a state park which occupies what were the outlying areas of the post. The photos below were taken in January 2000.
Jefferson Barracks Park Armory
Jefferson Barracks Park Entrance
Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Officers' Housing
Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Post Headquarters
Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Troop Barracks
View of the Mississippi River from Jefferson Barracks Park
Jefferson Barracks Park Stables
In 1820 the 6th Infantry and the Rifle Regiment established Ft. Atkinson on high bluffs that then overlooked the Missouri River, near present day Omaha, Nebraska. Until it was ordered abandoned in 1827, it was the largest military post in the west. The site was quickly plundered for building materials by settlers and then plowed over by local farmers. Recently, the state of Nebraska has begun restoring the old post. Re-enactors and park historians teach visitors about life in a frontier Army post in the 1820's. The photos below are re-printed with the kind permission of Nebraskan and Magazine/Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
A 6th Infantry Cap Badge found at Ft. Atkinson
A re-enactor in the uniform of the 1820's 6th Infantry
Present day reconstruction of Ft. Atkinson on the original site
view of the Ft. Atkinson reconstruction
Photo Gallery Page 2
You may contact the Association at: RegularsByGod@hvc.rr.com
Updated August 15, 2007